About Poly t
What is Poly-T?
Poly-T refers to a group of genetic mutations which cause the disease cystic fibrosis. Cystic fibrosis is caused by an autosomal recessive genetic mutation which results in a sticky mucosal buildup, primarily in the lungs but also in other organs such as the pancreas, kidneys, liver and digestive tract.
Individuals with cystic fibrosis inherit mutations in the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) gene. There are two copies of every autosomal gene (genes that are not on the XY chromosomes) and as the disorder is autosomal recessive, both copies must be deficient to result in disease. Individuals with one mutated CFTR gene and one functional gene do not exhibit symptoms and are known as carriers. Offspring of two carriers have a 25% chance of inheriting two faulty genes and developing cystic fibrosis, 50% chance of being a carrier and 25% chance of having two functional copies of the gene.
There are several different potential mutations which can result in a faulty CFTR gene. Among known mutations are 5T, 7T and 9T variants, referred to as polythymidine (Poly-T). These mutations have been shown to modulate the severity of the disease when in combination with the R117H mutation on the second copy of the gene.
Cystic fibrosis cannot be cured, and lifelong treatments are required to reduce symptoms sufficiently for a relatively normal life. Individuals with cystic fibrosis are also prone to secondary infections.
Why take the test?
This test screens for poly-t mutations of the CFTR gene. It is typically used to see if you are a carrier of any of these mutations but can be used to diagnose the exact genetic cause of cystic fibrosis in an individual.
Poly T (5T, 7T, 9T)
How it works
Purchase your Kit
Just order a test online and get your kit delivered right to your door unless you are ordering a COVID-19 Fit to Fly test where you will be given appointment options to attend our clinics across the United Kingdom for a nose and throat swab PCR test at the checkout stage.
Take your test and post
Follow our simple instructions to take your sample and post back the enclosed prepaid envelope to our accredited lab for processing. We also offer home or workplace visits by a qualified nurse. For COVID-19 Fit to Fly tests you must attend one of our partner clinics for our trained collection officers to take your sample. You will then have the results emailed to you.
Get results directly to your dashboard
You will receive an email notification from our medical team when your results are available on your secure personalised health dashboard.
This is an important test that is used in conjuction with other tests to diagnose Lyme disease.
2 tests included
This is an important test to help detect an immune response to candida and aid with the diagnosis of candidiasis.
3 tests included
This is an important test to help diagnose an infection with the Epstein-Barr virus.
3 tests included